And the winner of the No Duh Award: TEPCO scraps plans for new reactors at Fukushima

Reuters just reported this acknowledgement of the blindingly obvious:

Tokyo Electric Power Co, or Tepco, said on Friday it had notified Japan’s trade ministry it was dropping plans for two more nuclear reactors at its Fukushima Daiichi plant, paralyzed last year by a devastating earthquake.

The Reuters article, however, had this buried in the third paragraph:

In contrast, Tohoku Electric Power Co retained its plans to build a new 825 MW nuclear reactor near the Fukushima Daiichi station, but said it could give no date for the reactor’s commercial operation, earlier set for 2021.

Just so you don’t think that Tohoku learned nothing from the Fukushima disaster, there’s this:

Tohoku officials told a news conference they expected it would be difficult to build and operate a third nuclear plant due to protests from local authorities.

Here’s a link: http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/03/30/us-japan-tepco-idUSBRE82T0JC20120330

 

Advertisements

About Robert Singleton

By day, I work for a call center. In my spare time, I try to save my hometown (and planet) from a nearly constant onslaught of greedheads, lunatics and land developers. I live in a fictional town called Austin, Texas, where I go to way too many meetings.
This entry was posted in Expansion, Fukushima, Japan, Plant shutdowns, Reactor problems, TEPCO and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s